Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Avatar was a stupid movie



Look, I'll be honest with you. When I first saw it, I was floored. Floating mountains, freaky blue cat people, and massive gunships made an impact on me. I was completely in awe of the CGI and the 3D technology. Then I saw it again.


Having been acclimated to the style and the "Wow" style of cinematography, I focused mainly on the plot of the movie. About this time, I realized it was a retread of a cliched pro-environment, going green storyline that had been done a million times before. I preferred the version with Tim Curry.


Secondly, the most relatable character in my eyes, and in many other peoples eyes apparently, was the designated bad guy Colonel Quartrich.


Okay, maybe he dropped napalm on a few trees, but really he sided with humanity, which is more than can be said for the Protagonist. And I, being human, would like a hero who sides with humanity, no matter what we happen to be doing at the moment.


And now we get to be bombarded with extended cuts, Directors cuts, Blue ray, deleted scenes, extended scenes, Extended directors cuts, super extended cuts, and more screentime that they couldn't cram into a three hour movie in the first place. I for one won't be sitting through the 18 hours of bonus features unless Cameron produces an alternate ending where everything is just nuked from space and the humans get the shiny minerals that they came for.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen Avatar, nor do I plan to see it. I'm not a big fan of special effects, especially CGI. I love the fact that Cameron's wife beat him out for best picture and best director.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I began watching Avatar the other night and turned it off after twenty minutes. I could not grasp the idea of it and couldnt get passed the weird looking characters. Some of my family and friends rave about this film, but I just dont understand it. Like Casey, I also love the fact that Camerons wife beat him out for best picture and best director.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.