
GameInformer magazine is a monthly video game magazine published and sold under the video game store company Gamestop. It covers upcoming games, reviews, and other important news. This has always been my magazine of choice in looking at game reviews and determining if a game is worth the money. Lately however they have become more critical and less helpful. Some current reviews on popular games have just been compared to games that they find to be the best. One such review I found very unfair was of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2. Now just to say I am not a huge Star Wars fan, I did not expect this game to get a 10 out of 10 just because its made by Lucas. Getting back on topic the game was given a 7.75 out of 10 due to one problem. I remember opening my issue and thinking "Wow, this game must have had a lot of bugs and glitches." The review stated how the graphics are some of the best they have ever seen, sound was perfect, and gameplay was smooth and solid with easy to learn controls. After reading the overalls of the game I was dumbfounded on how the score was so low, so I had to read the whole review. Their only negative was the short storyline, which is about 4 hours long. I do not believe a game with everything positive but only a short story should be dropped 2 points. To some 7.75 does not seem that low, but compared to other games reviewed, it is low. I just do not want to be mislead while reading reviews on games. If it gets worse, the magazine could start to show this same distaste toward games that are only being previewed and ruin the reputation of the magazine.
Excellent point.
ReplyDeleteI've been reading this magazine for a long time, and I'm stunned they'd be critical to this degree. They really knocked it down two points for a short storyline?
While I agree about the fact that they shouldnt have taken so much away from the score for a short story, i will say that its actually laughable to call what was in that game a story. It was bad in my opinion and takes away from the first game that had a great story.
ReplyDelete