Friday, November 26, 2010

So You Say You Want a Revolution?

The film industry is undergoing vast changes. Digital video is taking over, making the process not only cheaper, but more readily accessible to the burgeoning film maker. Whether it's Arri or Red, HD technology is rivaling and taking over traditional film. I know what you're saying, 'those cameras are EXTREMELY expensive.' And you're right. There are way cheaper options - the HVX200 for example. But what has people excited the most is the Canon EOS 5D Mark ii.

That's no misprint. That's the future. HD-DSLR (High Definition Single Lens Reflex) cameras that are capable of shooting full HD - 1080p. Don't believe me? Fine. Here are 10 examples of beautiful cinematography shot with DSLRs - HERE. Television is getting in on the DSLR game as well. The season finale of House was shot entirely with the Canon EOS 5D Mark ii. Saturday Night Live used it to shoot its opening sequence.

There is one caveat - these traditional still cameras were not exactly designed to shoot feature films, or television shows. They are prone to jellocam, overheating - causing the camera to shut down, aliasing and moire. The DSLR recording aspect is still in its infancy. But there are a million tips and tricks you can use to help you.

I'm currently saving for one. It's going to take me a while. I'll be pinching every penny. I'll probably loose 20 lbs from not eating and my clothes will be rag-tag. But hey, dreams don't come easy!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's amazing how far camerea technolgy has come in recent years. My dad as a photographer as well as advertiser for the Plain Dealer in the sixties and seventies and he had to lug around all this equipment constantly while shelling out astronomical ammounts for the camera and equipment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.