Tuesday, November 30, 2010

In Memorium


The death of famed comedic actor Leslie Nielsen brings up both fond memories and great sadness to me.
Nielsen was famous for his parodies of famous straight-man archetypes.
I was surprised to learn that he began his Career as a serious actor, and got cast in Airplane! to parody his earlier roles.
The incredibly quotable Leslie Nielsen is probably most famous for his work in Airplane! (Yes, the exclamation mark is compulsory) The Naked Gun trilogy, and most recently the Scary Movie series.
I've always loved Leslie Nielson. From an early age I loved the antics of Frank Drebin(: Police Squad!) even if I was too young to really get half the jokes in the Movie.
I own movies I don't even particularly like because Leslie Nielson is in them.(I'm looking at you, An American Carol. Without Leslie, it'd just be ham-handed conservative propaganda.)
Up to this point, I was sure Leslie Nielsen would be the highlight of any movie I saw him in. Now, I am truly saddened, both because I will never meet him in person and because I will never go to a new movie and brighten when I spot him in the cast.
Rest in peace, Old friend. You've earned it...

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorites. I told everyone he died of laughter. Then proceeded to watch the naked gun trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.