Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cheap and Easy

Digital photography is cheap and easy. You point the camera, you shoot. Ok, there's a bit more to it than that once you get into camera models that allow you to use manual controls. But you can't argue it's not cheap. There is no film to purchase. There is no money spent on processing the film etc. Just focus, shoot, upload, erase and do it again.

I try to shoot as many pictures a day as I can. Like I said, it's cheap and easy. But I was astonished when I discovered that renowed street photographer Gary Winogrand shot at least 100 photos a day. Winogrand died of gall bladder cancer in 1984. It doesn't take much to figure out he was using a film camera. Easy? Sure. Cheap? I wouldn't think so. What I find even more amazing is the fact that when he died, he left behind over 2,500 undeveloped rolls of film. I think a play on words is justifiable here - that's a gold mine! The man was dedicated and loved what he did, cost be damned.


So, if you have an interest in photography, you have no excuse. The only real cost is what you are willing to spend on a camera, which relates to your level of interest in the medium.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.