Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cirque Du Freak







When I think of the better films I've seen recently, Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant jumps out right away.



Cirque Du Freak tells the story of a teenager who joins a traveling freak show after becoming a half-vampire. It also caters to one of my favorite past times, The game of "Hey, it's that guy!" In this game, you sort of recognize an actor and spend several minutes struggling for his or her name without resorting to the Internet. First person to get the name wins. It's more fun than it sounds.



With people like John C. Reilly, Orlando Jones, Selma Hayek, and Ken Watanabe in the cast, it's not hard to play the game, it's hard to stop.



Putting the fantastic cast aside, the special effects are quite eye-catching. What I truly admire about this aspect, though, is that unlike other recent films I could name, Cirque Du Freak uses its effects to advance the story, not to show off. Effects are subtle but beautiful. Whether its a multicolor spider dancing, vampires rushing across entire states, or a man swallowing a blowtorch effects are convincing without being spotlight stealing.
I believe this is exactly the kind of film there should be more of right now, and I hope those reading this blog agree with me.

2 comments:

  1. Any idea if the are making more of these movies to finish with the books? I figured they wouldn't since the movie got really bad reviews even though I thought it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently not. It made about $38 million domestic, but cost 40 to make. Unless it makes some serious cash in international theaters or DVD sales, it's the end of the franchise.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.