Hollywood's love affair with turning literature into movies never seems to end. In fact, according to Will Wright, who is part of the Yahoo! Contributor Network, 85% of movies made are adaptations. I found this totally astounding. I mean, I know Hollywood is profit driven (ahem, neverending remakes) and lacks originality, but 85%?! C'mon!
You can imagine my disgust when I read the caption, "Leonardo DiCaprio Gives 'Red Riding Hood' the 'Twilight' Treatment." Don't get me wrong. I'm not against making money or exploiting trends. After all, we the audience have the ultimate power. We can choose whether or not to see or not see something. Whether or not to buy or not buy something. All I'm asking is that the story's integrity be kept in tact. I mean, do we really need more unrealistic Hollywood romantasism and escapism? I know, I know, I'm walking a thin line. I'm in grave danger of becoming the one thing I never want to be, a pretentious film snob.
Now if you excuse me, I've some Gaspar Noe and Rainer Werner Fassbinder films to watch. Which, ironically, are subtitled. Which means I'll be READING them.
Hay I love Leonardo DiCaprio and all the stupid unoriginal works of Hollywood. I'm also a twilight fan! I'm going to go watch Avatar now thank you very much.
ReplyDeleteGreat.
ReplyDeleteJust what we need, someone is making "Twilight clones."
I didn't even like the first one, why do we need more of these?
jeez hollywood is crazy they will make anything into a movie even if they know it's crap. Myself I'm tired of seeing yet another crappy comedy starring Will Ferrel. Even worse they are going to make Yogi Bear into a movie Gah!!!!
ReplyDeleteIm not that shocked from all this. Hollywood has always done these types of things and they will keep doing them bacuse like you said we as the consumer keep wanting more and more of those types of movies.
ReplyDeleteI saw that this was coming out and was actually excited, hoping for a dark version of Red Riding Hood. Of course not, we get one full or romance and other twilight like plot points. Huge disappointment.
ReplyDelete